Sunday, August 19, 2018

Trip to Utah for Melissa's Wedding, Part 1

  Initially when Andrew deployed we had decided that the girls and I were not going to travel so we could save the money. However, when Melissa announced that her and Isaac were going to get married in February, I gladly jumped at the excuse to go visit family in Utah for a few weeks.  The girls and I were able to get tickets on the same flight as Jared and Kristen so I could have help getting through the airport, which was really nice.  

  Little Miss Abby did not want to get left behind so she happily buckled herself into her car seat a good 40 minutes before we left the house.  She didn't have anything with which to entertain herself, but she was happy to sit and make sure she was not forgotten.  

  A couple days after arriving we got snow flurries and then a few more days later we got a bunch of snow. The girls LOVED the snow. When it started snowing the first time we were in Utah, Kate and Abby put their coats on and ran outside to try to catch some snow with their mouths. Whenever we went on walks with Ellie, she would scoop up some snow and suck on it the whole way home. It was fun watching the girls enjoy the cold so much.
Here is the view from Grandma and Grandpa's backyard of the first snow fall.
 We often went to the playground back in the commons area.  The girls had a lot of fun running around with each other.
 Ellie enjoyed hanging onto the rails while her sisters ran back and forth on the bridge.  I think she only fell twice the whole time we were there.  Not too bad.
 Ellie loves feeling the cold snow
 With two older sisters running around showing Ellie the ropes, she had no problem going down the big slides, by herself or with a helper.
 The view from our room.  
 Grandpa reading Ellie some books, the quickest way to get her to sit on your lap.
Catching snow flakes with their tongues. 
 Kate has been so interested in playing the piano lately.  She loved sitting in anyone's lap to watch them play or to learn a few keys herself. 
 My sweet little Abby
 Family dinner after church.  Ellie had to be convinced/tricked to sit in her highchair which was usually unsuccessful.  It was nice having so many aunts and uncles around willing to hold her while she ate off of her plate or theirs.
 Card games were played most nights.  Kate loved sitting in someone's lap to help them out in the game.  Eventually she learned the rules well enough to play on her own.  And man, she was good.  
 A common view from the little people walking around.
Our first heavy snowfall
The girls were so excited to play out in the snow.  If I remember right, Abby had to be convinced to put her snow pants on and then leave them on.  She was not a fan, at first.  After having a blast out in the snow she was happy to put them on thereafter.
 Aunt Rachael pulling the girls around.  It was a good workout.
 Grandpa Scott's turn! 
 And then Uncle Jared's turn :)
 The cutest little snow marshmallow I ever did see.
 All ready to go out into the snow with Grandma and patiently waiting.
 Trying to figure out if she liked the snow or not.
 Taking a turn at the piano.
 Reading time
 Play time
 Nap time
 Wedding time
 The girls looked totally adorable in their new dresses and fluffy coats.  I'm so glad I found them all nice warm coats because they needed them.  If I remember right, it was a bitter 20 degrees out on Melissa's wedding day. Surprisingly, not too bad if you were standing in the sun. And if you were holding onto someone to share body heat. 
 
The new Mr. and Mrs. Olsen
 
Waiting for photos to be taken and trying to stay warm 
 The wedding reception was beautiful and the girls had fun running around with each other and their new friends.
 Poor little Ellie wasn't able to take her normal nap so she eventually passed out after being pushed around in circles for a good bit.  
 My beautiful sweet Kate
 Cutting the cake 
 Daddy daughter dance. 
Abby's feelings after a while :)
 Ellie woke up from her nap in time to send the newly married couple off with some bubbles.
 After a few more days, more snow fell.  This time Grandpa went outside with the girls to build a snowman with them. 
 The girls loved their finished project.  Carrot for the nose and wedding brownies for the eyes.  ...that later got eaten by the birds. 
Grandpa and Ellie getting back from their daily walk. 
 Kate loved finding icicles on their walk to break off so she could suck on them.  
 And Ellie loved eating a ball of snow.
Flying with Grandpa
Kate and Abby fell in love with Grandma's United States Puzzle on this trip out to Utah.  After getting home I ordered them their own to play with.  They are getting good at knowing where most of the states are. 
 Playing with Mr. and Mrs. Potato Head.
 21 weeks along
 Staring out at the big sea of white.
 Getting some cuddles in with Cooper
 Grandma Dhreen's Birthday
 Kate bought a chocolate egg for Grandma with her own money.  These are her favorite things to buy and give away or share.
 Mine and Kiersten's best friend from high school and college was able to stop by for lunch while driving through Utah.  We hadn't seen each other since Andrew and I got married 8 years ago.  It was SO nice to see her and meet her sweet little girl.
Going out on another walk
This time Kate came back with two icicles!
I was able to go up to Twin Falls to visit Kiersten Thursday morning and sit through one of her school days.  It was so great to see her teach and interact with her students.  I am grateful I got the chance to go because I don't know if/when I'll be able to do it again.  We went out to eat at Culver's for dinner and then saw a play that night.  Some of her students were in the play and others helped backstage.  It was a fun experience.  
Kiersten's classroom is full of quotes from famous people.  Here is one that I particularly liked.
 Friday morning (Abby's birthday) I got up to return back to Layton.  This is what I woke up to.  Snow.  Everywhere.  I hadn't driven in snow in a good 5 years.  I forgot how terrifying it was.  Or maybe it was more terrifying now that I am a mom and don't want to die even more so than when I was a teenager.  The whole time I was driving home I was praying, "Please God, I don't want anyone else to raise my kids.  I just need to see my babies again.  PLEASE don't let me die!!"  God answered my prayers and I was so happy to see all of my babies again.  Also, I am SO glad we live in the south.  

No comments:

Post a Comment