Saturday, November 17, 2018

Meet Gerald

  Andrew and I have talked about if and when to get another dog for quite some time now.  We kind of decided to wait till the end of next year because I wouldn't have my hands so full with a new baby and rebellious toddler.  After getting here though, Andrew suggested getting a dog here because it would be easier potty training on hard floor and easier on our home back in Florida to not be peed on constantly. So my search began.
  After a week of constantly searching, I finally found an available breed we would be happy with. I called up the owner and arranged a time and place to meet. Truth or Consequences is a town 2 hours south of us that was halfway for both of us.
  We had a fun day planned at their museum but the lady bringing the puppies woke up with a fever and body aches. When she called to tell me I was bummed to have to drive further but she sounded so awful on the phone I wasn't upset at her. We ended up meeting her daughter in Las Cruces.
  They had three male puppies to choose from. Andrew's caveat with getting a puppy was that it be a male so we can name it Gerald, after the sea lion in Finding Dory.
  I thought it hilarious and readily agreed. The first two puppies out of the kennel were SO tiny I was afraid for what could happen if we took one of them home. The last puppy hiding in the back of the kennel was the size of the first two puppies combined. Thank heavens. After saving the life of the puppy Ellie was holding, twice, we gave back the tiny puppies and took the biggest one home. 
Kate and Abby were delighted to help our puppy drink and have a few bites of food.
 Daddy was happy to meet the little guy, too.
During the drive home Ellie was adorable playing peek-a-boo with me.  
   The ride home was long but uneventful. Duke was excited to meet his new baby brother but was quickly over this small, excited puppy that everyone seemed to think was the cutest thing ever. Duke has warmed up to Gerald the past 2 weeks but has growled at the little stinker a few times. I don't blame old Duke. I don't like being a chew toy either.
 Gerald still needs to be monitored around Ellie.  Neither one are gentle with the other.
 
Kate is a good helper most of the time. We are still trying to teach the girls how to discipline Gerald when he starts to bite a lot.
 He is an adorable little ball of fluff.

1 comment: