Thursday, February 12, 2015

Nightmare over.

  Yesterday marked six months of the beginning of a nightmare I never dreamed we would have to go through.  I can remember it like it was yesterday.  It was a typical Monday.  The girls were behaving fine for the most part, which was great because I was able to clean up much of the house.  I started making something in the kitchen which negated all the cleaning I had done in it earlier.  Story of my life.
  Anyhow, I hadn't heard from Andrew the entire day.  The girls were starting to get fussy and I was starting to get annoyed.  I sent Andrew a text to call me at 3:03 but didn't hear from him for an hour.  At 4:05, thoroughly annoyed that I still hadn't heard from him, I texted "Never mind."  Like most women, I was hoping my man would read it and consequently be able to read my mind from his work desk and know that I was annoyed and then call me back!  Never happened.
  About two hours later, I saw two cars pull up and park in front of our house.  A big, tall guy stepped out of the one car and, low and behold, Andrew was with him.  I looked around my front room, disappointed that it was no longer clean and tidy.  Oh well.
  The tall guy that was with Andrew was...I am going to call him Colonel M.  He is the group commander here at Laughlin AFB.  Once inside, Andrew informed me that he is being investigated for doing drugs.  He had been with OSI (Office of Special Investigations) for almost six hours that day while they interrogated him.  He then told me that I needed to get the girls and go to the playground while the two OSI agents (who had arrived in the other car) searched our house.
  I don't know if I was in shock or not, but I did know 100% that Andrew had never ever ever done drugs.  It couldn't have been a joke because the group commander was right there in front of me.  Maybe just a random house search??  I didn't ask questions.  I picked up Abby and took her and Kate to the playground.
  After our house was searched and the three men left, Andrew came over to the playground and explained to me what was going on.  First off, after he had landed from his flight that morning, he was taken over to the OSI building where his phone was confiscated, his finger prints were taken, a mug shot was taken, as was a sample of his urine.  He was then questioned for five hours about taking prescription drugs, specifically percocet, illegally.
  Now back track 6 months previous from that date to February 2014.  I can remember it well because my doctor had told me to take it easy because I was dilated to 3.5 cm and the baby could come at any time.  We were praying baby Abby would stay inside me at least until Andrew was feeling better.  He was so sick one week that he didn't get off the couch unless he had to go to the bathroom.  It was super stressful for Andrew because he had a soon-to-arrive baby to worry about, and his student pilots were not doing well with their EPQs (Emergency Procedure Quizes).  The students were being punished by being made to wear their service dress uniform to work everyday.
  On one of the days that Andrew was home sick, his flight commander and close friend, BK, decided to let their students off the hook.  He ended their punishment.  Andrew was very upset because the students weren't doing any better on their quizzes.  He called up BK and left a not so nice voicemail.  I heard his message from the kitchen and was shocked at how mad Andrew was and at what he had said to his friend/flight commander.  I told him that he should probably apologize and left it at that.
  Now fast forward to August 2014.  An unprofessional relationship was happening between an instructor pilot and a student.  The instructor pilot, KR, is a work friend of Andrew's and was assigned to the same flight Andrew was in at the time.  However, because of the lack in standard similarities/life style, Andrew rarely hung out with KR outside of work and didn't know anything of his unprofessional relationship.
  Regardless, KR's phone was confiscated and on it, due to iphone group chat capabilities, was Andrew's apology text to BK about his not so nice voicemail.  Andrew said to BK, "sorry about that voicemail.  I was under the influence of percocet."  The mention of percocet was a joke meant to relieve any tension that might have been between Andrew and BK.  Everyone, and I mean every. single. person., that Andrew works with knows that he is Mormon.  They know that he does not drink, he does not smoke, he does not do drugs, he does not condone pornography, he does not condone inappropriate relationships, or anything inappropriate for that matter.  His standards are high and everyone knows it.  The joke, now known to KR, was mentioned three more times over the following three days.  The idea of Andrew taking a drug illegally was so ridiculous that both KR and BK knew that what Andrew had said was a joke.
  So after Andrew's texts were found on KR's phone, he was then called in to be interrogated.  His urine test came back negative, of course, and they did not find a single thing in our house, of course.  I thought that everything was back to normal but the next day Andrew's air nautical orders (his pilot wings) were suspended for 180 days.  I could not believe it.  SIX MONTHS!?  He wasn't going to fly for SIX MONTHS!?!?
  Well, six months has now passed.  During these past six months, Andrew's Captain pin on date was pushed back to October 2015, he was given a LOA (letter of admonishment), a referral OPR (a large black mark on your record), a no-contact order between him and one of his closest friends, and read an Article 15 just last month which, if it was seen through, would have ended his flying career with the Air Force.  The list could go on.
    Yesterday was the date scheduled for Andrew's article 15 hearing. There were a number of different outcomes that could have happened. Worse case scenario, Andrew is found guilty of doing prescription drugs illegally, made to sign the article 15, and then generally discharged from the air force. Best case scenario, Andrew is found innocent and all charges are dropped.
   This post is getting long enough so I will continue tomorrow with the outcome of the article 15.

1 comment:

  1. what a nightmare! I cant believe an innocent joke was taken so far out of hand!

    ReplyDelete