Friday, October 13, 2017

Kate's first soccer game and Andrew's first deployment

  I can't believe it has already been three weeks since Andrew deployed.  And I hesitate to use that word because Andrew was gone for 9 days, but, if you look it up, deploy means to move troops/equipment into position for military action.  That is exactly what was done.  And we weren't prepared for it.
  It was Friday (the 22nd) and because Andrew wasn't flying, he was planning on a full day of work at his additional duty's station. I wasn't expecting him home till dinner time so when he walked in the door at 1340, I was surprised to see him.  Especially without his usual phone call home to let me know he's on his way.
  He had been alerted and told to go home and get ready to leave with a 30-day deployment bag packed.  12 hours is what he was given. He was told to expect a call to be back at the squadron at 0100 Saturday.  After being told what was going on, I started a load of his laundry as he sat down at the computer to get more life insurance. My favorite.
  Andrew is not in a big hurry but he is getting his stuff together.  He doesn't know where he is going or when he'll be back.  I think back to President Trump's speech given at the United Nations a few days before.  He didn't hold back when talking about the leader of North Korea.  I also think back to Andrew's thoughts on going to war with NK and how, if AC-130s are sent, none will survive.  They are too slow.  I hold back my emotions and push through because as I'm thinking about all of this, I'm also getting Kate's things together for her first soccer game.
Kate right before "tryouts" two weeks prior to her first game.

  Back info:  She had mixed emotions when going to the "tryouts" two weeks before.  Those mixed emotions turned into tears and more tears.  She was brave and tried, as best she could.  By the end of "tryouts" she wasn't sad anymore and was having an okay time.  Then she got hit with a ball.  More tears.  I encouraged her to go back out on the field, and she did!!  I was so proud!  After that she was excited for soccer and all of her soccer practices since then have gone very well.  So her first game is in two hours and I'm getting everything ready for her, and for Andrew to leave late that night. 
  *Because there was so much to get ready for Andrew to leave, we got to Kate's game 20 minutes late.  It didn't really faze her though, and she happily ran up to her team and waited her turn to play.  Her game went well.  Both teams did great and everyone had fun.

  Andrew ended up leaving earlier than 0100.  It was a crazy rush getting him out the door but we got him back to the squadron to send him off to no-one-knows-where for who-knows-how-long.  Andrew's stuff got unloaded from our car, I gave him a kiss and he was gone.  

The next day, Saturday, Kate had her team's pictures.  We went to Walmart afterwards and found these fun hats/masks.  The girls were a fit of giggles as they tried them on!  
We had so many friends reach out to us once they heard that Andrew had left so quickly.  One friend gave us two jars filled with chocolate.  We were to have one a day till Andrew got home.  She also gave us chocolate bars, popcorn, fruit snacks, and a hug!  Her kindness and understanding made my day so much better! The girls had fun making these chains to also help with counting down the days till their Daddy would be home.
While Andrew was gone, we had our first book club meeting at our house.  We learned about volcanoes and did the typical vinegar and baking soda eruption.  All the kids enjoyed it.
The girls had fun playing in the water together.  Ellie was quite fussy while Andrew was gone.  Man, she missed him bad.  The whole time she was in the water she was happy.  I'm glad she could get her mind off of what was missing, even if for a little bit.
My crazy Abby :)
We met up with Aunt Kristen at Hurlburt's soundside.  The girls had a good time and I really enjoyed being out in the sun.
Kate made me laugh real hard with this one!  Oh, man.  This girl :)
And then, not even 10 days later, Andrew was home!  I feel SO blessed.  His entire experience was anything but normal, from the very beginning to the very end.  I'm SO grateful he was kept out of harms way.  I've told Andrew many times before that I don't want him coming home from a deployment with a mustache.  Most guys do, but I think they're gross, and I didn't want that to be the first thing I see when he comes home.  After this experience and hearing about all that went on, I told him I don't care what he looks like when he comes home, as long as he comes home ALIVE and healthy. 

No comments:

Post a Comment